Is Your Car Prepared for Edmonton Winters?
Now that winter is in full swing in Edmonton, it’s time to start thinking about seasonal maintenance for your vehicle. Cars require different care and attention during the winter months than in the summer—cold temperatures and seasonal weather conditions such as snow and ice can have adverse effects on your vehicle if you don’t take the proper care to keep your vehicle maintained. Here are the top 11 car care tips for winter car maintenance to keep your car running smoothly all Alberta’s winter long.
- If you park your vehicle outdoors, lift the wiper blades up so they don’t freeze. Don’t put the wipers on while there is a snow or ice on the windshield, as wipers will get damage easily and can be costly to replace.
- Always make sure your vehicle has a block heater and check that it’s working. It’s a good idea to get in the habit of plugging your car overnight, every night. Plugging in your car using the block heater can help your car to run more smoothly in the winter
- To keep your car battery working through the winter, you should plug in your car overnight. AMA recommends that drivers plug in their cars when the temperature is -15 Degrees Celsius or below. This will help make sure your car battery starts up without needing jumper cables to boost it.
- It’s highly recommended to use synthetic oil for your car especially in winter as it’s more durable for cold weather. Synthetic oil performs well in both hot and cold temperatures and it keeps its viscosity when temperatures drop. Because of this, it flows better through your engine’s lubrication system in wintertime, compared with conventional oil.
- Keep a snow brush and an ice scrapper inside your car all the times. During thee winter, shorter daylight hours and snowy conditions can already lead to a decrease in visibility. It is important to always fully scrape your windshield and brush snow off every part of your vehicle. Before you go you should also defrost your front and rear windows.
- Have a good set of winter tires, they make huge difference in handling. If you have all-season tires, you should read this article on why winter tires are important in Alberta. When it comes to tires for your vehicle, 70% of vehicle manufacturers recommend investing in four winter tires for rear wheel, front wheel, or four-wheel drive cars.
- Make sure to check your tire pressure and fill them so the pressure is within the recommended range. The seasonal drop in temperature causes a reduced volume of air in your tires. Because of this your tires will lose pressure in the winter can easily become uninflated.
- Make sure your climate system is working properly and the heat is working. One more thing: always keep the switch of the climate control on fresh air and NEVER on Rec or recirculate as it will fog inside your vehicle.
- If you get stuck in the snow, try “rocking” back and forth between forward and reverse gears. Give it a little gas just as the vehicle starts to swing forward out of reverse. It’s a good idea to leave a small shovel in your car and tow ropes in car, just in case.
- Get your cabin air filter changed, this is crucial for your health. There are two main reasons why you should replace your cabin air filter in the winter. First, in the winter your vehicle releases more particulate emissions and a fresh cabin air filter can help to keep the air clean in the car. Second, changing your cabin air filter can help improve your defrost performance.
- Last not least get your vehicle ready for winter by taking it to any mechanic shop and ask them for winter maintenance package. This package should include a winter safety check of your vehicle to make sure your car is prepared for Edmonton winters.
At Optimum Auto Service, our winter maintenance package includes checking your fluid, tires, wipers, brakes, suspension, and steering system. We also check on the operation of your block heater and climate control. As part of the winter maintenance package, we check your car’s freezing point and the quality of your glycol or engine coolant and your washer fluid. A final benefit of the winter care package is that we will either install your winter tires or recommend selling you winter tires.
Invest in a Winter Maintenance Package
Want to keep your vehicle in working order through winter weather and icy roads? At Optimum Auto Service we provide winter maintenance packages to ensure your vehicle runs smoothly. Proudly serving Edmonton and the Edmonton area for over a decade, we are your trusted local mechanics here to help ensure your car is prepared for Edmonton winters.
For more winter car care tips, check out this article on why winter tires are important for Albertan winters.